New Delhi: Brazilian World Cup winner Roberto Carlos on Thursday backed his legendary country-mate Zico to succeed embattled Sepp Blatter as president of controversy-plagued FIFA, world football’s governing body.
“Zico is the perfect choice, Zico is a phenomena… One of the great coaches I have had in my career,” Carlos said about the 62-year-old great when asked about a suitable candidate for the top job.
The 42-year-old Carlos was today unveiled as Delhi Dynamos’ marquee manager-cup-player for the second season of Indian Super league football. Zico had last month confirmed he would stand in the election to succeed Blatter as president of FIFA, although he admitted he may struggle to find enough support.
“I would like to confirm the decision to be a candidate. I feel I am capable. For sure, certain rules need to change,” not least the constant ‘horse-trading’ necessitated by the need to gather the support of at least five federations.
“That need to have five federations behind you, I think that is where the corruption starts as favours are offered, asked for or called in,” Zico had said. Carlos called both Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi as great players but asked to watch out for Neymar in the coming years.
Asked about the decline of Brazilian national team in recent times, highlighted by the 0-7 trashing at the hands of Germany at last year’s World Cup, Carlos said, “I only remember our 2-0 victory against Germany in the World Cup final in 2002, last year’s 7-0 drubbing I was not there so I can’t say.”