It’s no secret that people cheat in relationships. There are websites created solely to facilitate infidelity, such as Ashley Madison, who this year went into panic after the personal details of thousands of their users were leaked after a hack.
But why do people cheat? Surely if you’re in a loving relationship there’s no need? Relationships expert Sam Owen thinks she has an insight into why people may stray.
Why do people cheat? What are the reasons?
1) Couples may lose true appreciation of one another.
2) Those who cheat can forget to consider the role they play within a relationship, making it easier to look at what their partner is doing wrong rather than asking what they are contributing.
3) A cheat may allow themselves to become distracted from their partner, and from what’s real and what’s important. In a world of where we’re overloaded with information, temptations and distractions are rife.
4) Lack of proper communication about the important things in a relationship can increasingly drive a distance between partners, leading them to be unfaithful.
5) If a person is problem-focused rather than looking for solutions, it can invite contempt for a partner rather than compassion. This can lead someone to seek comfort elsewhere.
6) If there’s a lack of physical and emotional intimacy day-to-day, a partner may end up feeling neglected.
7) If someone persistently overlooks the importance of the little things that matter in a relationship – the small gestures of love, the tiny actions that speak volumes – can make a partner feel unappreciated, meaning they’re more likely to stray.
Sam Owen is a relationships coach and psychologist who help coaching clients globally.