Kolkata: One out of two salesmen fell seriously ill after they were allegedly given poison instead of the money that they had gone to collect.
The incident occurred on Friday afternoon at the area falling under New Alipore police station. Amit Chakraborty and Somnath Mondal are presently under treatment. Amit Chakraborty’s condition is stated to be serious.
Somnath Chakraborty informed the police and the organisation they were working for. The police rushed to the area and arrested the accused Madhumanti Saha, who is a housewife.
Madhumanti Saha, resident of New Alipore’s E-block, had purchased chimney from the selling organisation on July 27. The bank had returned the cheque which Madhumanti had used to pay the bill amounting to 40 thousand. The organisation had informed this to Madhumanti. Hearing thism she agreed to pay the entire money in cash.
Following this, employees of the company Amit Chakraborty and Somnath Mondal went
to Madhumanti’s house to collect the money. She has been accused of making both of
them sit for a long time in the name of giving money. Then she offered them cold drinks, drinking which Amit allegedly fell unconscious.
Seeing this condition of his colleague, Somnath took out his phone to inform his office. But on seeing Somnath taking out his phone, Madhumanti allegedly led her pet dogs to him and snatched away his phone.
After narrowly escaping from death, Somnath came out somehow and directly went to
the New Alipore police station. From the police station, he informed his office of the entire incident.
With the help of the New Alipore police, he rescued his friend who was still unconscious. He was admitted to the hospital under serious condition.
A complaint was also filed by the chimney selling company, based on which Madhumanti Saha was arrested. The police have started an investigation to the case.