Grilled Cheese Toast with Bacon, Avocado & Tomato
2 slices bacon, sliced half
2 slices bread
2 teaspoons butter
2 slices Cheddar cheese
2 slices tomato
1/2 a ripe avocado, thinly sliced
1. Place bacon in a large nonstick and cook over medium-low heat, flipping occasionally, until crisp all over. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, and keep bacon fat aside.
2. Wipe out the skillet and return to medium heat. Spread softened butter on both bread slices and place on pan, about 2 minutes.
3. Transfer to a cutting board toasted-side-up. Place one cheese slice on top of a slice of bread, followed by bacon, tomato, and avocado. Top with second cheese slice and close the sandwich.
4. Add half of the reserved bacon fat to skillet and heat over medium-low heat. Add sandwich and cook, swirling occasionally, until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is thoroughly melted (8 minutes approximately). Serve immediately.
Chilli Cheese Toast
This Indian version always feels like a nice warm hug, flavoured with green chilli and aromatic ginger. What’s not to love?
4 slices of white bread
3-4 tbsp grated cheese
1 green chili, finely chopped
½ tsp minced ginger
softened butter (for spreading on the bread)
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Grate the cheese in a bowl, add chopped chilies and ginger. Also add salt and pepper as required, and mix well.
2. Slice the bread into triangular slices, and place on a tray and lightly grill in a pre heated oven at 200 degrees C for 5-6 minutes.
3. Remove and place the bread on a plate. Spread some butter evenly, and then spread the cheese-chili-ginger mixture.
4. Grill again for 10 mins till the cheese melts and the bread slices get golden and crisp. Serve immediately with tomato ketchup.