After Surgical Strikes, Film Body Bans Pakistani Actors

0
91

Mumbai: As India revealed that it had launched surgical strikes across the Line of Control, the Indian Motion Picture Producers Association on Friday passed a resolution to ban Pakistani actors from the industry in the wake of the Uri attack.

“IMPPA in their 87th annual general meeting passed (a resolution that) no Pakistani will be hired by their producer members forever,” producer TP Aggarwal, the president of IMPPA, said.

The resolution came on a day the Indian Army announced that seven terror launch pads were targeted across the LoC by special forces during a ‘surgical strike’ overnight in which heliborne and ground forces were used. Producer Ashoke Pandit, a member of the IMPPA, said, “IMPPA paid homage to the martyrs who were killed in Uri. It therefore felt its responsibility towards the nation and passed a resolution banning Pakistani Actors & technicians in India till normalcy returns. For IMPPA, nation comes first.” Eighteen Army personnel were killed in the Uri attack.

The decision came amid demands by various political outfits to ban Pakistani artistes from Indian films and performing here. Last week, Raj Thackeray-led MNS issued a 48-hour ultimatum to Pakistani artistes and actors including Fawad Khan and Ali Zafar, to leave India by September 25 or else they would be “pushed out”.

Also, apparently the popular Pakistani singer Rahat Fateh Ali Khan has been dropped from his upcoming film “Laali Ki Shaadi Mein Laddoo Deewana”. Recently the concerts of Pakistani singers Shafqat Amanat Ali and Atif Aslam scheduled in Bengaluru and Gurgaon respectively were also cancelled.

While the district administration has “advised” the concert team Konceptentertainment to defer Atif’s show, the organisers have said they had already decided to postpone the gig “indefinitely” after the attack at Uri in Kashmir.

“Considering the sentiments of armed forces and soldiers at the frontier, the organisers are advised by the district administration of Gurgaon to defer the Atif Aslam concert,” said Deputy Commissioner of Gurgaon, TL Satyaprakash in a statement.

Shafqat’s concert was called off after the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and the Bajrang Dal on Wednesday wrote a letter to the Bangalore Police asking it not to allow Pakistani singer Shafqat Amanat Ali to perform on September 30.

PTI

-----
Previous articleSecurity Strengthened At Vital Installations In Punjab
Next articleAamir Khan To Be Special Guest At MAMI Opening