Barcelona: FC Barcelona have reached an agreement to extend their contract with Uruguay forward Luis Suarez through to June 2021.
Suarez’s new buy-out or termination clause is now set at 200 million euros ($208.3 million), the club said on Thursday, reports Efe news agency. “FC Barcelona and the Uruguyan striker reach an agreement that will keep him at the Club for four more seasons,” Barcelona said in a statement on their website.
The new contract will be officially signed at the Catalan club’s headquarters. Suarez arrived at Barcelona from Liverpool in the summer of 2014 in a 81-million-euro ($84.3-million) transfer. Since then, he has become a crucial piece in manager Luis Enrique’s starting line-up, where he is a part of Barca’s formidable attacking trio along with Lionel Messi and Neymar.
The club said Suarez has hit the back of the net 97 times since signing for Barcelona, an average of 0.83 goals per game.
Suarez struggled to integrate into the Barcelona team at first, having joined the team after a troubled time at Liverpool and the 2014 FIFA World Cup, where he was suspended for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini on his right shoulder.