Kolkata: In a major news coming in, Soumen Mitra has replaced Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury as the Bengal Pradesh Congress President.
Speculations were high that Adhir will be losing his post of PCC chief. Discussions were on within the party over who will take his position next.
The list as published by AICC is as follows. The following have been appointed by Congress President Rahul Gandhi:
1. Somendra Nath Mitra, President PCC
2. Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, Chairman, Campaign Committee
3. Sri Pradip Bhattacharya, Chairman, Coordination Committee
4. Sankar Malakar, Working President
5. Nepal Mahato, Working President
6. Abu Hasem Khan Chowdhury, Working President
7. Deepa Dasmunsi, Working President
8. Abhijeet Mukherjee, Chairperson, Manifesto Committee
9. Amitabha Chakraborty, Chairperson, Outreach and Communication
10. Subhankar Sarkar, Convener, Coordination Committee
11. Santosh Pathak, Convener, Manifesto Committee
It was being heard that Pradip Bhattacharya, Deepa Dasmunshi, Pranab Mukherjee’s son Abhijeet Mukherjee and Mousam Benjir were in the race of being the next PCC chief. But Abhijeet and Mousam wants to give more time to their area before the Lok Sabha elections in 2019. It was published in Kolkata24x7 that, for these reasons, both had returned the honour of being the next PCC chief.
On the other hand, though Adhir’s followers refused the authenticity of the news, but after a massive defeat in the Panchayat elections, they were not to be found near the Pradesh Congress Bhawan. This led to the speculations rising more.
From last July, the close followers of Murshidabad’s Robinhood stopped coming in Bidhan Bhawan.
In the last month, Congress president Rahul Gandhi had held a meeting at Delhi with
the PCC leaders. Adhir was present in it. Rahul had summoned them to be present
immediately in the meeting. On the other hand, before the meeting, Mamata Banerjee
had met with Rahul Gandhi over discussions on federal front.
Reported By: Debjani Sarkar
Edited By: Saheli Dey