New Delhi: Some customers of State Bank of India (SBI), the country’s largest public lender, will not be able to access internet banking facility if they do not link their mobile number with their respective accounts.
On its website, the bank said: As per Reserve Bank of India (RBI) advisory, it is mandatory to register your mobile number to avail internet banking services. The RBI had on July 6, 2017, made it mandatory for banks to have registered mobile numbers of their customers for SMS alerts.
Customers who fail to register their mobile number with the bank will lose access to internet banking services from December 1, 2018.
How To Check
- SBI account holders who want to check the status of their mobile number registration can do so by logging on to SBI’s website.
- How to register online through internet banking
- Open SBI’s website (https://www.onlinesbi.com/) and go to internet banking services
- Enter your login user id and password
- Click on My accounts and visit the profile tab
- Navigate to personal details then select the mobile number
- Enter the password to save the changes
- Offline registration
- Even if you do not use internet banking, it is recommended to register mobile number with your account for alerts on any transactions. Non-internet banking customers can visit the nearest SBI branch to register their respective mobile number.
- Among other changes, the bank has informed customers to upgrade their existing magnetic strip debit cards (older chip-strip based cards) to new EMV chip-based cards by December 31. This can be done by visiting any SBI branch or internet banking before the deadline.