Russia Grounds Proton-M Rocket For 3 Months

0
105
- Advertisement -

Moscow:  Deputy Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin says that Proton-M rockets will be out of service for three and a half months because of engine problems.

Rogozin announced the delay on Twitter on Saturday following a visit to the factory where the engines are manufactured.

- Advertisement -

He says employees at the factory had been involved in faking documentation linked to the rocket and pledged that those responsible would be “harshly punished.”

He told journalists that: “It’s lucky that it didn’t end in an accident.”

The Proton-M rockets, a workhorse of the Russian space program, are used for deliveries to the International Space Station

Russian rockets have suffered several serious accidents in recent years. In May 2014, a Proton-M rocket carrying an advanced satellite broke up shortly after launch.