RSS To Axe VHP Leader Pravin Togadia


New Delhi: After the melodrama, RSS is planning to remove VHP international working president Pravin Togadia and Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh general secretary Virjesh Upadhyay.

Insiders said VHP’s executive meeting will be convened by the end of February, where RSS will push for the election of a new president, replacing Reddy and his supporters, including Togadia. A meeting of the ‘pratinidhi sabha’ – the Parivar’s top decision-making body – is slated for March and a new VHP chief could be elected before that.

Sources said the RSS brass had made up its mind to ease out those who had opened a front against the BJP government, including PM Modi. The Sangh is keen that its front organisations avoid confrontation with the government, and sort out differences amicably.

The larger view is that structural changes in the organisations had become unavoidable to prevent any confusion among cadres before the 2019 general elections.

However, the controversy around Praveen Togadia going missing and alleging encounter was entirely avoidable and can be blamed on general incompetence and poor functioning of Rajasthan Police.

A case against Togadia was registered for violating Section 144 in 2002 when Congress government was in power. This is one of the lightest cases that a person like him can have against him. The BJP government in 2015 withdrew the case. For three years, the withdrawal order despite passing through the table of District Collector and Superintendent of Police remained buried somewhere.

Finally, on court’s orders, when arrest warrant was issued, nobody in police realized that who this person was, and nor the persons who handled it brought to the notice of higher-ups.
Police took it as a normal case and was never serious to arrest him, else it should have first enquired about his whereabouts and sent a bigger team to catch him.

In such a high profile case, police at times informally alert that person about an arrest warrant giving him the option to either come to court or face arrest.

After the entire drama, an embarrassed home department of the Rajasthan government issued a fresh order, rushed it to Gangapur City and put it before the court which accepted the closure. All of this was rushed through within three days.