Mumbai: Continous efforts are being made for the safe return of 22-year-old Indian soldier Chandu Chavan from Pakistan but the process will take more time, according to Minister of State for Defence Subhash Bhamre.
Mr Bhamre, who was in the city to attend a function, said that Pakistan government’s admission that jawan Chavan is in their custody is significant in view of the strained relations between the two nations.
“Though there is an official agreement between India and Pakistan over handing over of such jawans, in the current scenario it will take more time to get him back,” Mr Bhamre said. “We have referred to the agreement and communicated with Pakistan government. It is true that relations between the two governments are a bit tense after the incident (cross-LoC surgical strikes). But, we will continue our efforts and bring him back,” he said.
Earlier, the Pakistani Army had denied that it had captured the jawan, who had inadvertently crossed the Line of Control after the surgical strikes in September.
On September 30, jawan Chavan from 37 Rashtriya Rifles had inadvertently crossed over to the other side of the Line of Control following which Pakistan had been informed by the DGMO (Director General of Military Operations) on the hotline.
Soon after the news broke, jawan Chavan’s aged grandmother Lila Chindha Patil died of shock. The Army jawan was planning to get married around Diwali. His parents died when he was small and his grandmother had raised him.