Raped ‘One Last Time’: How The 8 Year Old Died


Srinagar: The brutal rape and murder of the eight-year-old girl in Kathua has made headlines across the country, partly due to the support the minor’s alleged rapists have received in Jammu and Kashmir.

The alleged rapists, which include two policemen, have been arrested by the J&K Crime Branch. The Crime Branch’s probe, however, has been labelled a “conspiracy” to target Jammu and Kashmir’s minority Dogra community by a few.
The chargesheet offers a chilling glimpse into how the horrific incident was planned by a group of eight men.

The eight-year-old girl was reported missing on January 12. The Hiranagar police station registered a missing person First Information Report (FIR) based on a complaint submitted by the girl’s father. The father told the police that his daughter had left her home at 12.30 pm on January 10 to graze horses. But, while the horses returned to their shed at around 4 pm, the girl never returned.

A few days later on January 17, the eight-year-old girl’s dead body was recovered based on a tip-off provided by a local.

The juvenile accused was instructed by Ram to “kidnap” the girl who “often comes to the forests behind their house [it is unclear whose house is being referred to] for grazing her horses,” the chargesheet says. The juvenile then “shared the entire plan”, which was worked out by Ram and Khajuria, “Parvesh Kumar, his close friend, and asked for his help”.

After making Parvesh Kumar a part of the Kathua conspiracy, the juvenile accused then got in touch with Vishal Jangotra, who is Sanji Ram’s son and a student of agriculture in Uttar Pradesh’s Meerut. The juvenile called up Vishal and asked him to return to Kathua if he wanted to “satisfy his lust”.

The eight-year-old was kidnapped while she was out grazing her horses on January 11 and was confined by the accused with the help of sedative tablets. The girl was held captive inside a temple or devasthan where she was raped by Vishal Jangotra and the juvenile accused.

‘ONE LAST TIME’: After the girl was gangraped inside Devasthan, the juvenile accused informed Sanji Ram about the crime. Ram then directed the juvenile to murder the girl in order to complete the plan.

In order to do so, the juvenile accused, Vishal and another accused named Mannu then moved the girl from the devasthan to a nearby culvert. Special Police Officer Deepak Khajuria too reached what was to be the murder site. There, Khajuria told the juvenile to hold off on killing the girl as he too wanted to rape her.