- Meira Kumar bagged 34 per cent (1,844) votes.
- Ram Nath Kovind elected as the 14th President of India. Secures 65.65 per cent votes.
- RamNathKovind got 1389/479585, MeiraKumar 576/204594, 37 invalid after counting for Parliament &11 states: Anoop Mishra, Returning officer.
- Votes of Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha and 11 states counted. Ram Nath Kovind secures 4,79,585 electoral college votes, Meira Kumar gets 2,04,594 votes.
- PresidentialPoll2017: NDA’s Ram Nath Kovind secures 4,79,585 electoral college votes, UPA’s meira kumar gets 2,04,594 votes.
- I am not upset, why should I be upset? I am a fighter, I fought for the belief and faith of majority of my countrymen and women: Meira Kumar.
- NDA nominee Ram Nath Kovind leading with 60683 votes over opposition’s Meira Kumar, who got 22941 votes in Assam, Arunachal, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Returning Officer Anoop Mishra said.
- Total votes counted till now: 5,46,876. Ram Nath Kovind bagged 3,24,775, Meria kumar: 2,22,101.
- NDA’s Ram Nath Kovind leading with 60,683 votes, UPA’s Meira Kumar at 22,941.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had already congratulated Ram Nath Kovind on 17 July.
- White total strength of the electoral college is 10,98,903 votes, the contesting candidates require about 5,49,452 votes (50 per cent) of the votes to win.
- Meira Kumar says: “I have fought this elections with faith, belief and confidence in the ideology. I also believe in inner voice of conscience.”
- The counting of votes will be held under the supervision of Anoop Mishra, Lok Sabha secretary general.
- The ballot boxes received from the states would be counted in an alphabetical order.
- India’s 14th president will take oath on 25 July.
New Delhi: The Presidential counting will take place today, following which the fourteenth President of India will be announced. The candidate who secures at least one vote more than 50 per cent of the total votes will enter into the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The Election was held on 17th of this month and around 99 per cent voting was recorded. President Pranab Mukherjee will demit the office on July 25. Congress-led opposition nominated Meira Kumar to face National Democratic Alliance (NDA) candidate Ram Nath Kovind for the presidential race.
Ram Nath Kovind, former Governor of Bihar, was announced as the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led NDA’s candidate for the post of President of India by BJP president Amit Shah on June 19 2017. Kovind, a leader and a politician from the BJP, filed his nomination for the election on June 23, 2017.
Meira Kumar, the former Speaker of Lok Sabha, was announced as the Indian National Congress (INC)-lead opposition’s candidate for the post of President of India, after a meeting held on the June 22, 2017.
Both Kovind and Kumar are from the Dalit community and have canvassed hard by visiting states to seek support of legislators. Ballot boxes from 29 state capitals and the union territory of Puducherry have reached Parliament House amid tight security.
The Presidential election on July 17 saw 100 percent polling of 11 states. A total of 771 members of Parliament and 4,109 legislators were eligible to cast votes.