- We must start preparing for 200 year celebration of Presidency University from now itself: WB CM
- We are allotting Rs 10 Cr for renovation of current campus and Rs 1.8 Cr for upgradation of library:CM
- We have approved setting up of Himalayan Institute of Presidency University at Dow Hill, Kurseong: Mamata
- I don’t need permission to come to Presidency. You do not need permission to enter your home, your motherland: WB CM
- I wish you the young students at Presidency all the best. We will extend all cooperation to Presidency in future also: WB CM
- What Bengal thinks today, rest of India thinks tomorrow. Presidency will show the way: WB CM
- Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee is addressing the gathering at Presidency. She approved a new campus for the Presidency University,
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday faced stiff resistance from the students of premier education institute Presidency University on her maiden visit to the institute. Mamata is the first CM to visit the once epicenter of Naxal movement in West Bengal. The students of the Presidency University have gheraoed Vice Chancellor Anuradha Lohia after the CM left demanding to know the reason behind the visit of the Chief Minister. The students also alleged that they were beaten up by police for protesting.
Numerous posters appeared in the University campus with ‘Mamata you are not welcome’ written on them. The students also waved black flag at the CM. Students affiliated to IC and SFI also shouted ‘We will not forget April 10’, reminding the death of student leader Sudipta Gupta in police custody.
On the other hand education minister Partha Chatterjee was also prevented by the students from entering the University campus.