• 3 1/2 tablespoons paprika
• 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3 tablespoons cooking oil
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
• 1 1/3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 in all)
• 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
• 1/2 pound tortilla chips
• 1/4 pound feta, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1 red onion, sliced thin
• 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
How to make this recipe
1. In a small bowl, combine the paprika, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt.
2. In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately low heat. Add the flour and cook, whisking, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic; cook for 30 seconds. Add the paprika and chili powder mixture and then add the broth slowly, whisking, until smooth. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, covered, until thick enough to coat a spoon, about 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over moderate heat. Season the chicken with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper and cook until browned and just done, about 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pan and let it rest for 5 minutes. Cut crosswise into slices.
4. Add the tortilla chips to the chile sauce and cook, stirring, until the chips are soft but not falling apart, about 2 minutes. Put the sauce on plates and top with the feta, sour cream, onion, cilantro, and chicken.
Food & Wine