People Fall ill After Consuming Prasad in Assam


Guwahati: Over 124 people fell ill on Wednesday after consuming prasad Assam’s Majuli island under Jorhat district, an official said. All of them complained about suffering from acute stomach pain, vomiting and loose motion since the wee hours on Wednesday, said Majuli sub-divisional medical officer Dr Manik Mili.

Over 124 patients, including 57 females and 22 minors, who were aged above seven years, were admitted to Goromur Pitambor Devo Goswami Sub divisional 100-bed Civil Hospital in Majuli, he said.

All the affected persons from the same village had taken prasad of soaked chickpeas, green moong dal and fruits at a religious function at the residence of one person in Kakohorkotagoan under Goromur police station on Tuesday, the doctor said.

Medical expert teams with emergency life saving drugs and kits arrived from Jorhat Medical College Hospital in the district headquarters. According to Dr Mili, all the children will be sent to JMCH for better treatment as the condition of 18 minors is stated to be critical as the island lacks pediatric experts.

Meanwhile, the district administration has instituted an enquiry and instructed the sub-divisional officer to probe the cause of the mass food poisoning, Jorhat district deputy commissioner Solanki Vishal Basant said.


Previous articleDelhi Police Turning Into Criminals: AAP
Next articleUS Predator Drones Crash in Turkey