Packaged Drinking Water Is Not Safe Enough: Sovan

0
139

Kolkata: After a 40 year old man died on Wednesday afternoon, complaining of diarrhea since morning at Baghajatin, Mayor slams packaged sealed water.

Hitting out the diarrhea disease Mayor Sovan Chatterjee claimed that packaged drinking water is no longer safe. Further He adds that the number of the diarrhea patient is not rising further.

Over 3,500 people have been affected by the outbreak since Friday evening. The affected areas are spread over nine CMC wards and include places like Chittaranjan Colony and J block in Baghajatin, H block in Patuli, Rajdanga in Kasba, Nazirbagan in Dhakuria, parts of Santoshpur, Shahid Smriti Colony behind Peerless Hospital and Nonadanga near Ruby.

Chatterjee said efforts were on to find out the exact cause of the outbreak. “Until we find something, I should not comment,” he added.

The death came on a day tests confirmed the presence of Escherichia coli bacteria in stool samples collected from patients. Mayor Chatterjee said he didn’t know about any such results of tests of samples.

The E.coli bacteria prompted doctors to suspect that leaks in sewer lines and drinking water lines are contaminating the potable water and leading to infections in parts of south Calcutta.

---