New Delhi: The NDA government seeking to end the stalemate over the One Rank One Pension (OROP) issue has reportedly decided to roll out the pension scheme soon. According to a report by India Today, the scheme will be implemented from July 1, 2014.
Here are the key points of the proposal:
• OROP will be implented from July 1, 2014.
• Arrears will be disbursed in four half-yearly installments.
• Widows will be paid arrears in one installment. War widows will also get the OROP benefits.
• Financial year 2013 will be the base year for OROP pensions.
• Those soldiers who take voluntary retirement will not be eligible for OROP benefits.
• To bring about uniformity among retired officers, pension levels will be reconsidered every five years.
• Government estimates that Rs 10000-12000 crore will be the cost of OROP arrears.
The government is also setting up a one-member high level committee to resolve discrepancies in the pension disbursement. The committee is slated to submit its report within six months. The ex-servicemen on the other hand has warned the government against taking any unilateral decision in the matter.