New Delhi: The government announced the One Rank One Pension scheme for defence veterans on Saturday. The announcement was made by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar.
- PM is busy with his trips abroad, promised us “acche din”. I think since he has come to power our bad days started: Col. Pushpendra
- Will hold a rally on 12th of this month, our protest will continue: Havaldar Major Singh
- 70% servicemen retire voluntarily, what will happen to them? No promise has been fulfilled: Havaldar Major Singh
- Will continue our fight & hunger strike till all are points are agreed on. Requested a meet with Defence Min & got a call from them: S Singh
- I appeal to the veterans to give up their agitation and join the government in discussions: Union urban development minister Venkaiah Naidu
- Demands of Ex servicemen are right, we will stand with them: Kapil Sibal
- They say they respect Ex servicemen. On 14th August, were they respecting ex servicemen when they lathicharged at Jantar Mantar?:Kapil Sibal
- BJP Govt has betrayed the ex servicemen because OROP decision was made by UPA Govt: Kapil Sibal
- No other Govt has increased the pension of ex servicemen on such a large scale: AK Antony, Former Defence Minister
- Last 10 years of UPA Govt, three times we increased the pension of the ex servicemen substanitially: AK Antony, Former Defence Minister
- UPA Govt was always sincere for the cause of ex servicemen: AK Antony, Former Defence Minister
- Today’s announcement on OROP by Defence Min is totally disappointing: AK Antony, Former Defence Minister
- Koi kami reh gayi hogi to dekhengey: Home Minister Rajnath Singh
- This is a long standing demand, Govt is serious on this issue. PM has himself shown interest in this: HM Rajnath Singh
- Until all the demands of the protesting ex-servicemen are accepted, AAP will stand with them: Sanjay Singh
- This isn’t a black and white situation. We will soon decide if we want to continue our protest, says VK Gandhi
- They accepted one point and rejected 6 points, we are not fully satisfied: Major General (retd) Satbir Singh
- For now, the consensus we have arrived at is that the OROP agitation will continue: Satbir Singh
- We accept only the implementation of OROP, reject every other point: ex-servicemen
- We reject the revision of pension in every 5 year: Major Gen (Retired) Satbir Singh
- We reject 1 member committee, we want 5 members of which 3 would be veterans, 1 serving servicemen and 1 of their choice: Satbir Singh
- All widows, including war widows will be paid arrears in one installment: Def Min
- Further enhancement in rate of pension will be automatically passed to past pensioners, bridging gap btwn current & past pensioners: Def Min
- We want a clarification on the VRS issue, if they still don’t accept then it is a big blow to the forces-Major General Satbir Singh
- OROP will be implemented from July 1, 2014, the base year would be 2013: Defence Minister
- I am satisfied as the government has accepted our terms and condition: Satbir Singh
- Major Gen (retd.) Satbir Singh now speaking on OROP implementation
- OROP implies that uniform pension be paid to armed forces personnel retiring in the same rank with same length of service: Defence Minister
- Despite huge financial burden given its commitment the Govt is implementingOROP: Parrikar
- I appeal to the veterans now to continue the task of nation building: Defence Minister
- PM Modi has fulfilled his commitment and implemented OROP-Manohar Parrikar,Defence Minister
- 03: 09 pm: One member judicial committee will be constituted, will give reports in 6 months: Defence Minister
- Pension would be re-fixed every 5 years: Defence Minister
- Personnel who retire voluntarily will not be covered under OROP scheme: Defence Minister
- Govt decided to implement OROP: DM
- Previous Govt had estimated 500 crore,however reality is OROP would cost 8000 crore to exchequer-Manohar Parrikar,Defence Minister
- Base Year will be 2013: Parrikar
- The then Defence Min. had in 2009 informed Parliament of admin., technical and financial difficulties in implementing OROP: Parrikar
- It is a matter of great anguish that previous governments have been ambivalent on OROP: Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar
- The issue OROPhas been pending for nearly four decades, says Defence ministe
- 03: 02 pm:Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar addressing the media.
- 02: 50 pm: Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to address the media on OROP Shortly
1.04 pm: Defence veterans’ meeting with Defence Minister ends, likely to address media shortly
12.15 pm: Veterans divided over government proposal on OROP, says sources
11.27 am: Colonel (Retd) Pushpender Singh says the government proposal on OROP, which is expected today, is not acceptable to him.
11.15 am: If the government can give a new proposal and assure that a junior will not get more pension than a senior, we will consider it, says ex-servicemen.
11.05 am: Veterans to meet Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar ahead of OROP announcement, to address media at 1 pm.
10:46 am: Group Captain (Retd) VK Gandhi says the ex-servicemen won’t accept the government proposal. He said that the veterans will intensify protest, adding that they do not want to indulge in violence.
10:36 am: BJP president Amit Shah to meet party spokespersons at 1 pm today ahead of expected OROP announcement.
10:30 am: Colonel Anil Kaul says that the veterans won’t accept the proposal of the Narendra Modi government for a revision every five years. He suggested that the ex-servicemen won’t relent, and may even intensify their agitation.
While the number of military veterans is over 24.25 lakh, there are nearly 6 lakh widows, too, who are entitled to lifetime pension. The current pension of defence forces is Rs 54,000 crore and it will increase to Rs 75,000 crore after OROP is implemented.
Almost 85% of military personnel retire before age of 40 but civilian employees serve till the age of 60. Only 1% of military personnel serve upto age of 60. While the number of registered ex-servicemen is 24.25 lakh and there are over 13 lakh serving military personnel. The estimated cost of OROP will be Rs 8,300 crore.
One Rank One Pension scheme has been a long-standing demand of the ex-servicemen. It seeks to ensure that a uniform pension is paid to defence personnel who retire at the same rank with the same length of service, irrespective of their date of retirement.
Several retired defence personnel have been protesting at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar for One Rank One Pension. Some of them are also on fast-unto-death. The details of the OROP framework is as follows
OROP will be implented from July 1, 2014.
• Arrears will be disbursed in four half-yearly installments.
• Widows will be paid arrears in one installment. War widows will also get the OROP benefits.
• Financial year 2013 will be the base year for OROP pensions.
• Those soldiers who take voluntary retirement will not be eligible for OROP benefits.
• To bring about uniformity among retired officers, pension levels will be reconsidered every five years.
• Government estimates that Rs 10000-12000 crore will be the cost of OROP arrears.