Nirbhaya Juvenile to Walk Free on Dec 20

0
75

New Delhi: The juvenile convict in the Nirbhaya rape and murder case may walk free on December 20 unless the Delhi high court intervenes in support of the Centre’s concerns, expressed through a secret Intelligence Bureau assessment that claimed he had been radicalised, reoprted TOI.

On Monday, the Delhi government’s department of women and child development (WCD) unveiled a rehabilitation plan for the juvenile – who is over 20 years now under which it will give him a one-time financial grant of Rs 10,000 and arrange for a sewing machine so that he can rent a tailoring shop.

- Advertisement -বাংলায় পড়তে হলে ক্লিক করুন Kolkata24x7

The move provoked objections from the Centre which remained apprehensive about his “mental condition” and wanted his detention extended. The court reserved its order on the issue. The 20-year-old, who has served the maximum detention period of three years permitted under the Juvenile Justice Act, is scheduled to be released on December 20.

“The juvenile in Nirbhaya case needs to be supported financially jointly by his parents and by the Delhi government,” the WCD department said in a report, adding that he needed help to sustain a business for an initial period of at least six months and meet expenses such renting a shop and procuring tailoring material, a signboard for his shop, receipt books, hangers etc.

The WCD department said, one day before the youth’s release, his parents and close relatives should be brought to Delhi at the government’s expense and accompanied by WCD officials, “in a safe and secure manner, preferably in a private taxi”.

The report says officials can then accompany him to his home state “in a private taxi other than the one in which they were brought to Delhi, in absolute confidentiality”. The department plans to visit his village again, before giving a report to the Juvenile Justice Board and the government.

Additional solicitor general Sanjay Jain urged the court to postpone his release and questioned the Delhi government’s silence on his “condition” and the fears raised in the IB report. The ASG maintained that the juvenile shouldn’t be released till the management committee appointed under the Juvenile Justice Act answers some key queries. He sought an extension of the juvenile’s stay till the time all “missing aspects” in the post-release plan are taken into account.

---
---