Nirbhaya Gangrape Convicts Under Suicide Watch, Vigilance Intensifies


Mumbai: The four convicts in the December 16 Nirbhaya gangrape case – Akshay (31), Pawan (22), Vinay (23) and Mukesh (29) – who are presently lodged in Tihar jail, are now placed under suicide watch.

Supreme Court on Friday upheld the death sentence of all the four convicts. The fifth accused, Ram Singh hanged himself in prison on March 11, 2013, while a convicted juvenile was sentenced to three years of punishment in a reform home. According to Indian Express reports, out of the four convicts, Vinay Sharma is lodged in jail number 4, while Akshay, Pawan and Mukesh have been lodged in jail number 2.

Reports also suggest that a special warder has been deployed in the respective jails where the convicts are lodged. The warders deployed outside the barracks of respective convict have been told to stay vigilant and report any abnormality in the behaviour of the four. Also, the officials of the Tamil Nadu Special Police (TSP), who are in-charge of internal security inside the prison, have been asked to increase their vigil. In view of the confirmation of their death sentence, the jail authorities have ensured round-the-clock watch on all of them through CCTV cameras.

Also Read: Death Sentence To Four NIRBHAYA Case Convicts

According to PTI reports, the jail authorities have been ensuring regular medical check-ups of the four convicts to detect any sign of depression as Vinay had allegedly attempted suicide last year.

However, all the three convicts, apart from Mukesh, were completing their education from jail. The lawyer, A P Singh, ” Vinay is in his last year of graduation (BA), Akshay is pursuing Class XII through open school and Pawan is studying in Class XII.”

Also Read: Nirbhaya Gangrape: The Four Year Long Legal Battle

The apex court yesterday confirmed the death sentence awarded to the four convicts saying it had sent a “tsunami of shock” all over and was a ‘rarest of rare’ case. The 23-year-old paramedic student was gangraped on the intervening night of December 16-17, 2012 inside a moving bus in South Delhi by a gang of six persons and severely assaulted before being thrown out naked. She succumbed to her injuries on December 29 at Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore.