Delhi: The youngest of the six men convicted in the Delhi gang rape case in 2012, who now is 21 will remain in custody of an NGO, starting December 22, for an year and take vocational training, said sources.
The parents of the 23-year-old woman, who came to be known as “Nirbhaya” or fearless, say this is far from justice. They have demanded that the “juvenile’s” face be shown as he is a threat to the society; he was the “most brutal” of all the rapists, they say.”The government has to think about our security and the security of the public,” mother of Nirbhaya said.
Amid public outrage over the convict’s expected release after three-year detention, the Delhi Police had considered charges under the National Security Act to keep him in jail.
Union Woman and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi had said earlier this week that she had written to the home ministry demanding that sex offenders be tracked after release.
“You know the issue is not of that particular individual, the point is that I have written to the home ministry saying that there should a tweaking of the law in which every person accused of sexual abuse, who has served a time and has come out should have to report to the police station and he should be monitored,” said the minister.
To stop the convict’s release, Nirbhaya’s parents had petitioned the home ministry, courts and the National Human Rights Commission.
The convict, who was below 18 at the time of the horrific crime, was sentenced to three years in a reform home. The punishment was seen by many as disproportionate to the enormity of the crime and spurred demands for changes in the law so teenagers involved in serious crimes can be tried as adults. Four other convicts have been sentenced to death and a fifth was found dead in prison.