Abuja: At least 50 people were killed on Tuesday in a suicide bomb blast at a mosque in the northeastern town of Mubi, in Adamawa state, northeast Nigeria, police told AFP.
“So far we have at least 50 dead from an attack at a mosque in Mubi,” said state police spokesman Othman Abubakar, indicating that Boko Haram jihadists were responsible.
The blast occurred in the early hours of Tuesday morning while worshippers were holding prayer.
While details of the blast are still sketchy, Governor Muhammed Umar Jibrilla Bindow has condemned the unfortunate incident.
In a statement signed by his Special Assistant on Press and Media Affairs, Martins Dickson, Bindow expressed described the incident as “an act of wickedness perpetrated by criminals who are bent on destroying the hard earned peace in Mubi and other parts of the state.”
“We will continue to ensure that our people are protected and given a sense of security which is the most important responsibility of any government.
“We have also engaged all security agencies to ensure that this type of wicked act does not repeat itself in any part of the state.”
The governor also called for calm among residents, assuring that security had been stepped up in Mubi and its environs and that his government would not rest until those behind the wicked act are brought to book.
Governor Bindow also urged residents with useful information to provide such to security agencies so as to apprehend the culprits.
The governor also promised that those injured in the incident would be given adequate medical attention.
“The bomb blast is undoubtedly a setback to the peace and calm that had returned to Mubi which was destroyed by Boko Haram,” he said.