- Fireworks explode as thousands of people gather to watch, in the main business district on New Year’s Eve in Jakarta.
- New Year marked by colourful bursts in Philippines.
- New Year celebration in Myanmar.
- New Year celebrations to go ahead in Dubai despite fire.
- It is 2016.
- Huge fire erupts at Dubai hotel ahead of New Year celebrations.
- 2,000 armed police deployed to ‘shield London’s New Year festivities from terror attack.
- Tokyo welcomes news year.
- Singapore goes all light to mark 2016.
- Parvaaz-e-Kashmir musical show on eve of New Year underway in Gulmarg (J&K) despite objection from separatists.
- More than 100,000 police on duty in France for New Year’s Eve: Minister
Auckland, New Delhi & Canberra: Auckland has marked the arrival of 2016 with a barrage of fireworks from the top of the Sky Tower.
The five minute display included 2500 individual fireworks. Auckland sets the tone with a bang, 5mins of fireworks from the sky tower.
Sydney has once again proved why its New Year celebrations are world famous, with bursts of brilliance providing a spectacular backdrop to the Harbour Bridge and Opera House as Australia welcomed in 2016.
Synchronised to a soundtrack of some of 2015’s biggest hits including Uptown Funk and Hold Back the River, the almost 15-minute fireworks show sent crowds into rapturous cheers and applause.
The $7 million party kicked off early on Thursday, with a vast and proud Aboriginal Welcome to Country ceremony ushering in the iconic fireworks display, putting local Gadigal, Wangal and Gamaragal traditions front and centre in global new year celebrations