Paris: A suspected Isis terror plot has been foiled in France with the arrest of seven suspected jihadis in Strasbourg and Marseille, authorities have said.
Bernard Cazeneuve, the interior minister, said they were arrested in a series of coordinated raids on Saturday night and into the early hours of Sunday morning.
He told a news conference DGSI counter-terror officers had been monitoring the cell for more than eight months, after uncovering links to a network arrested in June for planning attacks during the Euro 2016 football tournament.
“The work of the DGSI allowed us to thwart a terrorist act envisaged for a long time on our soil,” Mr Cazeneuve said. “A new attack has been foiled.”
The suspects are aged between 29 and 37 years old and of French, Moroccan and Afghan nationalities.
A Moroccan man was previously reported to French security services by a partner country but the other six were unknown to intelligence agencies.
The public prosecutor in Paris has started an investigation to establish the suspects’ roles and whether their plan was a single attack or coordinated strikes on several sites across the country.
Security sources told Le Parisien the suspects had joined fought in Syria and were linked to the Isis cell that carried out the Paris attacks.
The group’s “nervousness” as they awaited a weapons delivery reportedly sparked their arrests as the risk from the plot increased.
Mr Cazeneuve said 418 terror suspects have been arrested since the start of this year, with 43 arrests this month alone, preventing other planned attack