Mortal Remains Of 2 Citizens Among 39 Brought To Kolkata


Kolkata: Mortal remains of two people were brought to Kolkata. They were among 39 Indians killed by ISIS in Iraq’s Mosul.

Earlier, The mortal remains of 38 of the 39 Indians killed in war-torn Iraq were brought back today in a special aircraft and handed over to their relatives. Minister of State for External Affairs V K Singh, who brought back the bodies from Baghdad, told reporters in Amritsar that Indian embassy did not have any record of the 40 Indians captured by the terror group ISIS in Iraq in 2014 as they had gone there through illegal travel agents.

The minister said that had the government had any information about these people being in danger, it would have rescued them as it had done in case of over 45 nurses in 2014. Thirty-nine of the 40 Indian labourers were killed by the terror group, while one of them managed to escape posing as a Muslim from Bangladesh.

Out of the 39 killed, 27 hailed from Punjab, four from Himachal Pradesh, six from Bihar and two from West Bengal. The special aircraft carrying the mortal remains of 38 Indians in caskets landed at the Amritsar international airport around 2:30 pm. The presumed remains of one of those killed were yet to be positively identified. As the aircraft carrying the coffins landed in Amritsar, an air of gloom descended as distraught families looked at the caskets.

The remains of the 31 men belonging to Punjab and Himachal Pradesh were received by their relatives at the Sri Guru Ram Das Jee International Airport in Amritsar. The special flight proceeded to Kolkata, where the mortal remains of two men hailing from Nadia district were handed over to their families. The aircraft then left for Patna for handing over the bodies of six men hailing from Bihar to their families.

Authorities helped the families to take the bodies to their native places. Talking to reporters in Amritsar, Singh, who had gone to Iraq yesterday to bring back the bodies, said it was not possible to ascertain when they were killed. “But we were told that it could be about one year (ago). But it is very difficult to say whether it is more than a year or less than a year,” he said.