MNS Withdraws Protest Against ADHM, Film To Release On Schedule

0
162

Mumbai: The MNS has called off protests against the release of ‘Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’, featuring Pakistani actor Fawad Khan.

Decks were today cleared for the smooth release of “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil” after director Karan Johar accompanied by Producers’ Guild President Mukesh Bhatt met Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis and assured him that filmmakers would not work with Pakistani artistes given the people’s sentiments in India post Uri attacks.

Fadnavis met Johar and Bhatt at his residence ‘Varsha’ here this morning along with MNS chief Raj Thackeray, whose party had been opposing the release of the upcoming movie as Pakistani actor Fawad Khan features in the film.

Producers Sidharth Roy Kapur, Sajid Nadiadwala and Vijay Singh of Fox Star Studios were also present in the meeting.

Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Bhatt said that it was “positive and constructive and ‘Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’ will release as per the schedule.”

“We discussed the unfortunate events related to the film’s release. I shared the film industry’s emotions regarding the entire issue. We are Indians first and then comes our business,” he said.

Bhatt also said that they have assured the CM that neither the Producers’ Guild nor any filmmaker will work with any Pakistani artiste or technician in the future.

Also, the (Producers’) Guild will call a meeting to pass a resolution on not working with Pakistani artists. A copy of the same would be sent to the Information and Broadcasting Ministry as well as the Chief Minister, he said.

Besides, Johar has decided to put a special mention in the beginning of the film paying homage to martyrs.

“Karan Johar will display a slate of tribute for Uri martyrs before ‘Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’ starts playing out in the screens. It is a tribute from us to our soldiers,” Bhatt said.

The makers of the film starring Ranbir Kapoor, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Anushka Sharma in lead roles, will also contribute a portion of its revenue to the army welfare fund, he said, adding “We owe this to the Army.”

Johar’s “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil” had been embroiled in controversy over the past few weeks after the MNS opposed the screening of movies featuring Pakistani actors after the Uri terror attack, putting a question mark on the fate of movie, slated for Diwali release on October 28. .

Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Row: Rs. 5 Crore ‘Penance’ For Signing Pak Actors, Says Raj Thackeray
Mumbai: Producers who have signed Pakistani actors will have to pay Rs. 5 crore as ‘penance’ for army welfare, Raj Thackeray said today, suggesting he will not block the release of Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, after producers promised not to use Pakistani actors in the future.

Ae Dil… director Karan Johar, producers’ guild president Mukesh Bhatt met Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and Mr Thackeray, whose Maharashtra Navnirman Sena or MNS is among outfits that had threatened to vandalise cinemas and block the film as it stars Pakistani actor Fawad Khan.
“We had a constructive meeting. Shared emotions of industry. For us, India comes first. I have assured Chief Minister that…we’ll not work with Pakistani actors,” Mr Bhatt said.

Claiming victory, Mr Thackeray said, “All the producers who have Pakistani artistes in their film will as penance have to pay some money. I suggested Rs. 5 crore per film… and give the money to the army welfare fund.”

The condition will also apply to upcoming Shah Rukh Khan starrers Raees and Dear Zindagi.

Sections of Bollywood have said that given the attacks in India by Pakistani terrorists that have killed soldiers, Pakistani artistes should be banned from working in the film industry.

Speaking to journalists after the meeting, Mr Bhatt said today that Karan Johar has offered to honour Indian soldiers killed by Pakistani terrorists in a message that will be screened before the film.

On Thursday, Home Minister Rajnath Singh had reportedly assured producers that the film will release without any violence and all cinemas will have “100 per cent police protection”.

Earlier this week, Mr Johar released a video statement saying that his movie was shot much before tensions between India and Pakistan escalated following the Uri terror attack that left 19 Indian soldiers dead last month.

A section of cinema owners in four states had also said they will not release Mr Johar’s movie because it starred Fawad Khan alongside Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan due to be released on Sept 28.