Mehbooba Orders Withdrawal Of Stone-Pelting Cases Against Youths

0
118

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti on Wednesday ordered the withdrawal of cases of stone-pelting against 4,327 youths.

This follows the recommendation of a high-powered committee headed by Director General of Police (DGP) SP Vaid which submitted its report to her today, an official spokesman said.
“Today’s decision marks the revival of process of withdrawal of cases started by Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti last year immediately after taking over,” he said.

Ms Mufti had initiated a process of review of cases against youths from 2008 to 2014 and in the first instance 104 cases involving 634 youths were withdrawn within two months of her assuming power, the official said.

The process got disrupted due to the continued violence and unrest for later part of the last year, he added. Ms Mufti ordered the withdrawal of cases of stone-pelting against 4,327 youths in 744 cases, he said.

“With this, the total number of cases withdrawn so far on the directions of the chief minister has gone to 848 and the persons benefiting out of these withdrawals stands at 4,957,” the spokesman said.

---