Bhubaneshwar: Fire due to short circuit in the ICU Dept of the hospital. 5 fire brigade teams fighting out fire on Monday.
At least 23 people were killed and around 30 injured in a major fire at a private hospital in Bhubaneswar on Monday night. The fire was reportedly caused by a short circuit near the ICU of SUM Hospital.
Fire fighters struggled to control the blaze while teams from the Odisha Disaster Rapid Action Force were deployed in rescue operations.
The fire started in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the Institute of Medical Sciences and Sum Hospital reportedly due to a short-circuit. It then spread to the Dialysis and Medicine wards.
Patients have been evacuated, said the hospital authorities. The fire has been brought under control, said officials.