Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee took quick administrative measures after an earthquake rattled vast areas of the State, especially the north Bengal.She said that her prayers are with the people of Nepal and rest of India which were also affected by the earthquake. She urged everyone to stay calm while hoping for their safety.
The Chief Minister said that the Government was monitoring the situation closely and will be traveling to north Bengal tomorrow to take stock of the damage caused.Mamata Banerjee had been constantly providing updates of the situation through her Twitter account.
Addressing a press conference at Nabanna, the Chief Minister said:
• We have opened a control room on behalf of Disaster Management group for the earthquake. The Toll Free No is 1070. The Helpline No is 033-2214 3562.
• I have spoken to the PM. We have informed him about the situation in the State. We are assessing the situation.
• All police stations in Kolkata have been alerted. They will stay in touch with KMC to collect information on damage.
• The State Government will do whatever it can to help people in this time of crisis.
• Three people died in north Bengal. 30 people injured all over the state until now.
• There should not be any panic. We have to take all precautions and prevention.