- SC to hear CBI’s plea tomorrow
- 2 CBI officials reach Delhi
- Kolkata Police Commissioner Rajeev Kumar has left the dharna site after meeting Mamata Banerjee this morning
- TMC supporters assemble at Mamata Banerjee’s dharna spot
- Mamata Banerjee had skipped meals and remained awake the entire night on a makeshift dais along with some senior ministers and party members.
- The CBI will also move an application seeking a direction to Kolkata police commissioner Rajeev Kumar to join investigation into chit fund scams and cooperate in probe, say sources.
- CBI will move Supreme Court this morning with a petition seeking initiation of contempt of court proceedings against West Bengal Chief Secretary, DGP and Kolkata police commissioner Rajeev Kumar for obstructing SC directed probe into chit fund scams by CBI, sources say.
- Chief minister Mamata Banerjee’s dharna enters day 2
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee dharna or a sit-down protest entered Day 2 in central Kolkata to “save the constitution” after a huge showdown between the police and officials of the Central Bureau of Investigation on Sunday evening.
The CBI officers wanted to question Kolkata police chief Rajeev Kumar over two Ponzi schemes, but the CBI officials who turned up at Mr Kumar’s home were taken to a local police station and allegedly detained. “There is total constitutional breakdown. It is my job to protect my officers,” the Chief Minister told reporters on Sunday evening. “They (the BJP) cannot fight is politically. That’s why they are resorting to all this… Mr (Ajit) Doval is doing whatever PM wants him to do, he is the one giving all the instructions to CBI,” she said.
Many Opposition leaders have also spoken out in support of Ms Banerjee. Congress chief Rahul Gandhi had also extended his support for Ms Banerjee. RJD chief Tejashwi Yadav said the state government had to take the move due to “political decisions” the CBI had been taking at the BJP’s behest. He also said he may visit Kolkata today.
The CBI officers, who were released later, are planning to meet the Governor. Ms Banerjee is sitting on dharna at the designated spot for protests in Central Kolkata, accompanied by Kolkata police chief Rajeev Kumar.