- Mamata reaches the spot. Rajib Kumar also presented.
- One more body recovered from the debris on Wednesday evening.
- Roopa Ganguly has visited the Majerhat bridge on Wednesday morning.
- The rescue mission resumes on Wednesday Morning. 2 people expectedly under debris.
- Sniffer dogs being used to search for trapped victims.
- Extra bus services available from Dharmatala too.
- Transport department announces extra bus routes.
- Buses. ambulances stuck in roads. The transport services of all roads connected to Behala are disrupted completely.
- Traffic disrupted in the city. Pedestrians in great difficulty.
- Rajnath Singh calls Mamata Banerjee and enquires about the situation.
- Rescue mission still on, many still feared trapped.
- 4 NDRF teams are already heading towards the spot, more teams will be send to the spot, assures Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
- President Ramnath Kovind take on to tweeter to express his grief for the victims of the Majerhaat bridge collapse.
Sorry to learn of the partial collapse of the Majerhat bridge in Kolkata. Thoughts and prayers with the bereaved families, and with those injured in the tragic incident #PresidentKovind
— President of India (@rashtrapatibhvn) September 4, 2018
- Officially only one person has died. Name Soumen Bag, age 26
- BJP president Dilip Ghosh tweeted :
1.1 How many more bridges will be broken in Paschim Banga?
Mere change of colour does not add any shade of development.
Be it a bridge , a dam, hospital or a Government office, Didimoni has only paid lip service to performance by painting them blue and white ! pic.twitter.com/f1R9rlMnuy
— Dilip Ghosh (@DilipGhoshBJP) September 4, 2018
- CM announces Ex-Gratia- for the families of the deceased 5 lakhs and 50 thousands for the families of the injured.
- Total injured so far – 19 among which 17 are male and 2 females. 9 persons were taken to SSKM hospital and 10 were taken to CMRI among whom 1 was brought dead at SSKM.
- This is not the time to blame each other, says CMP leader Sujan Chakrabarty
- If negligence is found after the investigation, culprit will get the punishment
- Forensic department has reached the spot
- Due to availability of Flights and proper communication due to rain CM postponed her arrival. She will arrive on Wednesday. Shortly after the bridge collapse Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who is on an official visit to Darjeeling, said she wanted to return to the state capital but there were no flights.
Our team is focused on relief and rescue work. Our priority is relief and rescue. Rest of the investigation will be done later: Mamata Banerjee (now on an official visit to Darjeeling)
— AITC (@AITCofficial) September 4, 2018
- BJP Mahila Morcha president Locket Chatterjee and Chandrima Bhattacharya reached the SSKM hospital. Locket said, she wants to stay beside the bereaved families who became the victim of the tragic incident.
- Meanwhile, Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his grief for the families who lost their dear ones in the Majerhaat bridge tragedy.
The collapse of a part of a bridge in Kolkata is deeply unfortunate. My thoughts are with the families of the victims. I pray that those who are injured recover at the earliest.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) September 4, 2018
- Train movement through Majerhat had been suspended temporarily as a precautionary measure. 30317 Baygunge – Duttapukur local via Circular Railway detaining between New Alipore and Majerhat. Train services on Budge Budge – Ballygunge section may be restored after ensuring the safety in train running.
- Two trapped persons noise noticed and rescue team track the sound to rescue them from the debris.
- Families screaming their kin’s names to search them.
- The work of metro construction was on process under the Majerhaat bridge.
- State Government’s negligence responsible for bridge collapse, said BJP leader Kailash Vijayvargiya.
- Governor Keshari Nath Tripathy reached the spot
- Names of the injured persons are- Nazrul Molla, Hasibir Molla, Himanshu Chowbadhury and Aadesh Panda
- Rescue operations by the NDRF team underway.
- Is it God’s fury or Human’s fault, Questions arise
- Rain and darkness disrupts rescue operation.
- Locals confirmed that there were nearly 40 labours present under the bridge when the mishap took place. A temporary house of the labours that demolished due to the bridge collapse is still not evacuated by rescue operation team.
- More special forces have reached the spot, generators, special search lights have been brought for the rescue operation in the dark.
- An injured admitted in the SSKM died due to internal injury.
- Couple of days ago the Purtya Department (PWD) of West Bengal Government has given the 40 years old Majerhaat bridge a ‘fit certificate’. Then what happened suddenly, how the bridge collapsed?
- Bloodbath situation in the city again, the 31st March of 2016 an unfortunate day in the history of Kolkata that claimed several innocent lives is still awake in people’s mind. Yet another such tragedy occurs today in Majerhaat Bridge. This reminds Kolkatan of the horrific situation. Crushes cars, human body in a pool of blood noticed in the bridge collapsed spot.
- After getting the tragic news CM Mamata is returning from North Bengal
- According to the unofficial sources the number of deaths are 5 and 9 injured. Death toll and injured numbers will increase.
- As dusk nears, it may disrupt rescue operation due to darkness
- People searches for their dear ones
- The management of the bridge is under the Purtya Department (PWD) of the state government
- Nearly, 15 to 20 people are rescued from the debris as of now
- There are possibilities of some labourers trapped under the debris. Rescue operation underway.
- Locals said that their were some house of some labors whose house are demolished under the bridge
- Mayor Sovan Chatterjee reached to the spot
- Rahul Sinha reached to the spot
- As per report another portion of the bridge is also in miserable condition that is feared to be collapse anytime.
- The Majerhaat Bridge is an old bridge in the city
- Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee assures financial aid to the injured
- Rescue operations are on. Meanwhile, the evacuation process are on, people who are stuck inside the debris are being taken out
- As per report a part of the bridge has collapsed
- Firhad Hakim on his way to the spot
- All Kolkata nursing homes are put on alert
- 1 Injured admitted to CMRI
- Police, fire officials and military at the spot
- The train services of Sealdah South section are disrupted.
- 6 reportedly injured. 10 to 12 people are likely to be dead.
- As per sources traffic situation in the bridge is always active at this moment. Hence, deaths feared naturally
- Posta flyover disaster memory recalled
Update: Disaster management team has meanwhile rushed to the spot
Kolkata: Bridge Collasped In Majerhaat, many vehicles are believed to be under the debris. Many people are feared to be dead. Several vehicles like mini bus, cars are under the debris.
As per sources, as the railway line in located just under the bridge. The train services of Sealdah South section are disrupted.