- Vote Casted Till 5PM Is 70.01%
- 61.85% votes casted till 3p.m
- 48.92% Voting Till 1p.m.
- 33.35% Voting Till 11a.m.
- TMC candidate Dulal Das, after registering his vote said that, “Maheshtala didn’t see any violence today. We heard of violence everywhere in West Bengal during panchayat polls but there was no violence here. Our fight is against buying votes. We heard some party tried sending money to wards but they were not successful. We are against both CPM and BJP but it’s best that a communal party doesn’t come to power.”
- Election Commission confirms that they are trying their best to replace the faulty machines quickly.
- Netaji Subhash School – Problem with EVM Machines
- Problem with EVM machines in Sarengabad, Nungi High School (booth numbers 157 and 202) Voting has been stalled. Voters are losing patience in Nungi.
Maheshtala: The polling for the Maheshtala assembly constituency in West Bengal is being held on Monday.
The Maheshtala Assembly seat of South 24 Parganas district of West Bengal became vacant after the death of the two-time representative Kasturi Das of TMC in February this year. The seat had been a CPM stronghold till 2011 when it lost to the Trinamool Congress, which grabbed power in the state.
In 2016, she returned to defeat the party again by 12,452 votes.Maheshtala falls under South 24 Parganas district of West Bengal, where 2,48,855 voters are eligible to exercise their franchise.
The Election Commission has deployed 10 companies of Central forces, besides a large contingent of state armed forces, to ensure free, fair and peaceful by-election.
The bypoll begins at 7 am and continue till 6 pm, adding videography of the polling process and webcasting have also been arranged.
The AITMC has fielded Dulal Das, the husband of late party MLA Kasturi Das whose death has necessitated the by-poll, while the BJP, which is trying to emerge as the main challenger to the AITMC, has nominated Sujit Ghsosh, a former joint director of the CBI.
The Left Front, on the other hand, has given ticket to Prabhat Chowdhury, a local. The All India Trinamool Congress, the BJP and the CPI(M) are contesting the bypolls. The Congress is not in the fray.