Kashmir Unrest: Stone-Pelting Incidents Reported From Over Valley

0
81

Jammu: Stone-pelting incidents were reported from over a dozen places in Kashmir on Friday but there were no casualties in the violence that took place even as curfew was extended to several areas to thwart a proposed march of the separatists.

“Twenty-one incidents of stone pelting were reported after Friday prayers from Sopore, Shopian, Kulgam, Baramulla, Handwara, Bandipora and Pulwama districts,” police spokesman said tonight. However, there was no report of any casualty, he said.

- Advertisement -বাংলায় পড়তে হলে ক্লিক করুন Kolkata24x7

Earlier, authorities had extended curfew to many towns including Aripathan and Magam areas of Budgam district in view of the call for a march to Airpathan given by separatists against the death of four civilians in clashes between CRPF and protesters there on August 16.

Curfew also remained in force in entire Srinagar district, Anantnag town, Pampore town, Shopian town, Khanpora in Baramulla, Ganderbal town and Kaloosa in Bandipora district on Friday, a police official said.
Hurriyat Conference leaders Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, who are under house arrest, tried to take out the processions but were prevented by police.
Geelani was arrested soon after he came out of his Hyderpora residence here to offer Friday prayers in Aripanthan, a spokesman of his organisation said.
Mirwaiz, who was carrying a placard which read “stop state terrorism”, was also taken into preventive custody when he tried to lead a march to Aripanthan from his Nigeen residence in the outskirts of the city, moderate Hurriyat Conference said in a statement.

Restrictions on the movement of the people were in force in rest of the Valley where normal life remained paralysed for the 42nd day. The separatist camp, headed by Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik, has extended the agitation till August 25. They had called for a march to Aripthan area of Budgam on Friday.

Schools, colleges and private offices remained closed while public transport remained off roads. The attendance in government offices was thin.Mobile internet and telephony services also remained suspended.

As many as 64 persons including two police personnel have been killed and several thousand others injured in the clashes that began on July 9. A senior rebel commander said there was a “positive atmosphere” surrounding talk of a ceasefire. “But so far there are no details.”

Syrian warplanes had carried out 46 sorties in the last 24 hours, including strikes in Aleppo that destroyed a tank, a vehicle loaded with ammunition and three mortar emplacements, and killed dozens of rebel fighters, a military source said.

---
---