Failing to recover from a hamstring strain, Australian pace spearhead Mitchell Johnson ruled out of the fourth and final cricket Test against India on Sunday in Sydeney.
“Mitchell Johnson has been ruled out of the fourth Commonwealth Bank Test against India due to a hamstring injury he picked up during the third Test in Melbourne last week,” Cricket Australia said in a statement.
Johnson could not get training on Saturday and team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris confirmed on Monday morning that the left-armer has not fully recovered from soreness in his right hamstring, ruling him out of the match starting January 6.
Kountouris said the 33-year-old was expected to be fit in time for the ODI Tri-Series with India and England, starting on January 16, ahead of the World Cup next month.
Australia have already won the ongoing Test series by taking a 2-0 lead with the Melbourne match ending in a draw.
“Mitchell had some right hamstring soreness during the Boxing Day Test and we have been closely monitoring his recovery since that match but feel he has not fully recovered,” said Kountouris.
Australia coach Darren Lehmann said he does not want to risk Johnson’s fitness.
“Mitchell is an important part of our plans for the remainder of our summer and we want him 100 per cent right so won’t be taking any risks with him,” he said.
“We believe it is best for Mitchell to take this opportunity to freshen up and get his body fully fit ahead of the tri-series.”
* source DDNews