Jammu Simmers, Youth Who Vandalized Temple Found Dead

- Advertisement -

Jammu: Following two alleged incidents of “sacrilege” at temples in Jammu’s Roopnagar and Nanak Nagar this week, a 21-year-old man, who had allegedly fired at a Shiva idol in Trikuta Nagar two years ago, was found dead inside his house at Chowadhi on Thursday, according to police.

Police said that Syed Shah Bukhari, son of Dr Mumtaz Bukhari and nephew of former National Conference MLA Mushtaq Bukhari, was found dead on his bed in the morning, with traces of blood on his mouth and nose. Syed was a third-year law student at a private college here.

Channi police station SHO Sajjad Haider said investigations were on to find the cause of the death and added that police had taken Syed’s domestic help, Yasir Shehanshah, into custody.

- Advertisement -

Dr Bukhari said that doctors told him Syed had died of cardiac arrest but added that he suspected “foulplay”.

SHO Haider said forensic experts joined the probe Friday and visited Syed’s house, which is located in a forest area about 1 km away from the nearest residential locality.

Police sources said Syed returned home around 5 pm Wednesday and instructed Shehanshah not to wake him, as he had been doing so this Ramzan, at 3 am for “shehri”. Syed also told the domestic help that he would not be observing “roza” on Thursday because he had to appear for an examination, sources said.

Sources said Shehanshah told police that while both usually slept in the same room, he had spent Wednesday night in another room.

He also told police that when Syed did not come out of his room on Thursday morning, he knocked at his door and called on his mobile phone, sources said. It was then that Shehanshah rang up Syed’s father, Dr Bukhari at Surankote, who instructed him to break the doors, said sources.

When contacted, Dr Bukhari said doctors had conducted the postmortem before he reached the hospital. “They said that deceased appears to have died of cardiac arrest, but we are waiting for the post-mortem report,’’ he said.

“There may be some foulplay in the death as Syed had earlier been framed in an incident of sacrilege two years ago,’’ he added.
Police had arrested Syed and an accomplice days after he allegedly fired at a Shiva idol at a temple in Trikuta Nagar on November 6, 2014, leading to communal tension in the area. Police said Syed was out on bail.

Police sources claimed that Syed was taking medicines for mental stress – this was denied by his father. Syed was the second son of Dr Bukhari, who also has two daughters, both pursuing MBBS courses in China.

The Indian Express