Tinsukia: Tinsukia division of Northeast Frontier Railway observed “International Level Crossing Awareness Day (ILCAD) and joined International Union of Railways (UIC) in observing it. Tinsukia division of N.F.Railway along with Indian Railways has undertaken various programmes in this global campaign to sensitize road users to increase safety at railway level crossings specially at unmanned level crossings during the period 1st to 7th June 0215.
The number of unmanned level crossing accidents occurring on Indian Railways is a cause of concern. To sensitize road users to increase safety at railway level crossings specially at unmanned level crossings, a week long special drive have been arranged all over the division. Few programmes undertaken by the division as a part of this ILCAD programme for creating awareness amongstthe public about the safety precautions to be observed at unmanned level crossings are:
• Special drives at unmanned to educate school students, road users and others to be extra cautious while crossing unmanned level crossings.
• To educate public about the Motor Vehicle Act and Railway Act.
• Distribution of wrist band/safety stickers, pamphlets, leaflets etc with safety slogan/appeal.
• Publicity campaign through announcements over PA system utilising rickshaw, light vehicles decorated with safety banners, posters etc.
• Organising Nukkar Natak, road show at level crossings.
• Publishing display advertisements through news papers.
• Meeting with civil administration and public for creating awareness and co-operation.
We appeal to all sections of society to “act safely at level crossings, specially at unmanned level crossings” and request all road users – “STOP – LOOK OUT – THEN CROSS the unmanned level crossing only when no train is approaching”.
The ILCAD was inaugurated by Shri Aneet Dulat,DRM,Tinsukia by flagging off a road rally that was run thorough out the city to create awareness regarding danger at unmanned level crossing gates amongst the public.