Update: Blackbuck poaching case: Next date of hearing in Jodhpur court on February 15, reports news agency ANI.
Jodhpur: Salman Khan told a court in Rajasthan today that he has been falsely accused of killing blackbuck deer during a film shoot in 1998. “I am innocent,” he reportedly said in a Jodhpur court where his co-stars Saif Ali Khan, Tabu, Sonali Bendre and Neelam were also present as co-accused.
Salman Khan has faced multiple cases over the years linked to the killing of two blackbuck and two chinkara in the alleged deer hunt while filming the movie “Hum Saath Saath Hain”. The other actors are accused of instigating him.
The court had earlier asked them to appear on January 25, but the actors had asked for more time citing extra security a day ahead of Republic Day.
Salman Khan, 51, was charged with killing two blackbucks – an endangered species – during an alleged hunt near Jodhpur while the entire team was on a shoot for the movie ‘Hum Saath Saath Hain’ in 1998.
The prosecution has produced 28 witnesses.
Last week, Salman Khan was let off in an Arms Act case linked to the poaching. He was accused of keeping and using an unlicenced weapon but the court acquitted him of the charge, giving him the benefit of doubt based on weak evidence.
The Rajasthan High Court had last year acquitted the actor in two cases related to the hunting of chinkara deer.
Last year, the actor’s five-year jail term in a hit-and-run case was suspended by the Bombay High Court. He had been convicted of driving his SUV drunk and running over a homeless man in September 2002.