New Delhi: Shops of some of the Indians in Congo were attacked in reaction to the brutal killing of a Congolese national M K Oliver in Delhi, the foreign ministry said on Thursday. Some of the Indian nationals were injured in the attack, foreign ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup said.
“Our embassy in Congo in touch with local authorities and as of now things have calmed down,” Swarup said, adding, “India’s relations with Congo go back many years. Thousands of African students continue to benefit from the Indian education system and we will ensure full safety to them.”
23-year-old Oliver was bludgeoned to death in Vasant Kunj areas of south Delhi last week after altercation with some men over the hiring of an auto-rickshaw.
Eritrean ambassador Alem Tsehage Woldemariam said Oliver and his friend Samuel had gone to meet another friend, and while on their way back, he flagged down an auto-rickshaw which stopped a few metres away. However, as he tried to board it, three men standing nearby boarded it. An argument ensued following which Oliver was hit on the head with a brick, leading to his death.
The African diplomatic community decided to stay away from this year’s Africa Day celebrations seeking strong action on the part of the Indian government.
External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj then stepped in to assure the community. “I would like to assure African students in India that this an unfortunate and painful incident involving local goons,” Sushma tweeted on Wednesday.
Swaraj also said that Union minister Gen VK Singh will meet the heads of missions of African countries in Delhi and assure them of Indian government’s commitment to the safety and security of African nationals in India.