Naypyidaw: In a surgical operation, Indian troops are said to have entered Myanmarese territory and killed at least eight insurgent responsible for May 22 deadly ambush on an Assam Rifles convoy in Manipur.
According to a report in Economic Times, the Assam Rifles besides killing eight, also picked up 18 militants who were later handed over to the Myanmar authorities. There has been, however, no acknowledgement from the Myanmar so far on the matter.
An official familiar to the matter said that they are in process of confirming the exact number of deaths. The camps where the action took place are located inside 16 km inside Myanmar.
On May 22, exactly a year after the biggest ambush on the military took place in Manipur, in which as many as 17 soldiers of the 6 Dogra regiment were killed and another 16 injured, militants killed six soldiers of 29 Assam Rifles in Chandel district.
The decision to enter Myanmar and identify the attackers of May 22 killing was taken during high-level consultations in New Delhi. The official said that Assam Rifles was instructed to initiate an action similar to the one in June last year.
This is for the second time in less than a year that such operation was planned executed successfully. The ET report mentioned that the killed militants belonged to the CorCom (Core Committee), a joint platform of militants groups operating in the valley areas of Manipur.
The Cor-Com had claimed responsibility for May 22 ambush and even released photographs of its hit squad. Reports suggested that the entire operation is yet not over and being monitored by the general officer commanding (GoC) of Dimapur-based 3 Corps.
On May 25, Army Chief General Dalbir Singh Suhag, accompanied by Kolkata-based Eastern Army Commander Lieutenant General Praveen Bakshi had visited the 29 Assam Rifles battalion and the insurgent attack site.