New Delhi: The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Thursday affirmed that India would like to strengthen its relationship with China and that the issues between both the countries will be solved on the basis of Astana consensus.
“India would like to strengthen its relationship with China that was established in the visit of Chinese President Xi Jinping in September 2014. Indian would like to strengthen the relations on the basis of the Astana consensus which was reached between the Chinese President and Prime Minister Narendra Modi when they met on the margins of the Shanghai cooperation,” MEA officials spokesperson Gopal Baglay said in a press briefing here.
Baglay said the Astana convention had two components and as per the first component relation between India and China is significant not only for both countries, but also for the world. He further said that as per the second component, the differences between India and China should be addressed in a manner that is does not become a dispute.
“We wish to proceed in accordance with the Astana consensus to strengthen the closer development between the partnerships we have. There are numerous components – economic cooperation and people to people interaction and the idea is to make them more vibrant and strong in keeping with the Astana consensus,” Baglay said.
He however refused to provide any details on the Doklam stand-off, but added that even the international community believes that the matter between New Delhi and Beijing should be handled peacefully and through diplomatic channels.
Indian National Security Advisor Ajit Doval is currently in Beijing to attend the BRICS NSA’s meeting. The latest stand-off between two nuclear armed countries started when China started building a motorable road in the Doklam area near Sikkim on June 16. India as well as Bhutan have raised strong objection to the Chinese aggression on the border.
China on June 26 alleged that Indian troops crossed the boundary line in the Sikkim sector of the China-India boundary. Since then there is a tension between two countries.
India on June 30 told China that its attempt to construct a road in the Doklam area in Bhutan will cause a “significant change of status quo”, is a “violation of a 2012 understanding”, and will lead to “serious security implications.”
On July 20, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said that all the countries, including Bhutan, are with India on the issue of the Doklam stand-off.
Sushma said the issue is due to the “tri-junction point that is between India, China and Bhutan” and that if Beijing unilaterally tries to change the status quo at the tri-junction, then it will pose a threat to New Delhi’s security.
“India wants that troops are removed from the tri-junction point to discuss the issue together. All countries, including Bhutan, are with us,” Sushma said in Rajya Sabha on the fourth day of the Parliament Monsoon Session.