Gariahat Fire: Residents Spend Entire Night Under Open Sky

0
241

Kolkata: Chaos spread soon after fire broke out at Gariahat’s garment shop. Several shops were also gutted in the fire. The entire building was under fire.

The residents ran out of their houses in fear. They could see their houses burning in front of their eyes. The entire night they had to spent outside and under the open sky. They started crying out of fear.

A major blaze broke out early Sunday at a garment store in the southern part of the city’s Gariahat area, gutting goods worth lakhs and destroying multiple shops next to the building, a senior official of the fire department said.

At least 19 fire tenders have been pressed into service to douse the fire that was noticed around 1am at Traders Assembly building.

Nobody was injured in the fire, the cause of which was suspected to a transformer blast, the official said.

“At the moment, the fire has been brought under control. Our men are fighting tooth and nail to douse it. We are yet to find out the exact reason behind the blaze, but preliminary findings show that transformer blast might have led to it,” the fire department official added.