Gadiara is a village in Howrah District of West Bengal, India. This place is the point of convergence of the Damodar, the Rupnarayan and the Hoogli rivers. Gadiara is a popular picnic and daytrip spot for locals and tourists alike.
It is hardly 80–90 km from Calcutta and there are frequent bus services both private and state-owned (CSTC), from Esplanade, Kolkata. There is an old dilapidated fort, Fort Mornington, built by Lord Clive in Gadiara. The fort was heavily damaged during the devastating flood in 1942. There is a small lighthouse installed in Gadiara.
How to reach Gadiara ?
- Regular buses are available from Esplanade in Kolkata.
- Local trains available from Howrah for Bagnan. Local conveyance bus, auto from Bagnan to Gadiara via Shyampur.
- Drive down NH 6 upto Bagnan (46km). Turn left to Shivpur (33km). The picnic spot is 1 km beyond Shivpur.
- Bagnan to Gorchumuk Bus avilable via Shyampur Bus stopage and Shyampur to Gadiara Bus avialable from Shyampur Bus stopage.
- People who want to visit via Raichak can also go there by ferry available till 5-5.30 in the evening.
Where can you stay ?
- Rupnarayan Tourist Lodge, P.O. Dakshin Shibpur, Gadiara, Dist. : Howrah, Pin -711314, Phone :(03214)263125. AC and non AC rooms available. Sheds/ open ground for picnic available. Bookings can also be done from WB Govt Tourist Office, 3/2 BBD Bagh (East) Kolkata 700 001 Phone 033 22485917/5168/8271/8272.
- New Chalantika Tourist Lodge, AC & Non-AC rooms Rs. 250-350-700, Reservation from Kolkata Phone 09433585945. Lodge direct phone: 03214-263108/127 Mob: 09732583213
What to eat ?
Good Indian food at reasonable price is available at New Chalantika Tourist Lodge. Basic local fast food stalls are situated near the bus stand.
How to travel ?
One can use a cycle rickshaw to travel all around Gadiara.
Locations To Visit
- River cruise in country boats.
- Geonkhali Water Treatment Plant, Geonkhali (Take a ferry to go to Geonkhali, take a van rickshaw from there).