Berhampore: A fire broke out at the OPD building at the fourth floor of the Murshidabad Medical College on Wednesday. Panic erupted among patients and hospital staff who tried coming down the stairs. A stamepede-like situation occurred in which 15 were left injured. 5-6 out of them are stated to be critical. Several children and women are among the injured.
Two fire tenders were pressed into service. The Berhampore police also rushed to the area. Chaos is still there in the hospital area. Several families have reported their children missing.
Chaos started after smoke was seen emitting from the ceiling fan. It is being suspected that the fire was the result of short circuit in the fan.