Howrah: Massive fire broke out at Kadmatala Market on Saturday morning. Many shops have been gutted. 10 fire engines were rushed to the spot.
It took three hours for the firemen to douse the flames. The crammed space added to the plight. The reason for the fire outbreak is still unknown.
Kadamtala Market houses 450-500 shops. Locals reported that the sparks were first spotted in a Dashakarma Bhandar at around five in the morning. Panic soon spread among the local residents.
Firefighters allege that the market was devoid of fire extinguishers. Shop owners on the other hand complained against the late arrival of the fire engines.
No casualties but an estimated loss of crores have been reported. A fireman named Achintya Bhattacharya fell ill due to smoke inhalation.
The local municipality refused any liability of the market infrastructure owing to its private stake. The Local Councillor, Mayor and Police rushed to the spot. The councillor however admitted that they could have kept a tab on the dilapidated market and has ensured proper investigation of the matter.