Update: The fire that broke out at South City mall on Sunday is completely under control as informed by the fire officials.
Kolkata: Panic spread among visitors, shoppers and shopkeepers after a fire broke out at the South City mall in Kolkata on Sunday.
A major fire broke out at the fourth floor of the South city mall on Sunday morning at 9:15 am. People noticed black smoke engulfing the food court. 21 fire tenders were pressed into service to douse the flames.
Workers inside the mall were immediately evacuated after a fire alarm went off. There were even people who were watching movies. All were evacuated safely with, however, no reports of casualties or injuries, as per an official.
Initial reports indicated that the fire broke out at the food court of the mall. Security guards immediately severed electric connections and alerted people watching the movie show in the multiplex. Two hydraulic ladders were also pressed into service. Disaster Management Group officials are stationed outside the mall. Sovan Chatterjee, minister of fire and emergency services, rushed to the spot.
“Prima facie it seems the fire was caused due to a short circuit. No one was trapped inside the mall. We are trying to douse the fire as soon as possible,” said Kolkata Mayor Sovan Chatterjee.