New Delhi: A fire broke out on Tuesday in a building housing the blood blank at the Safdarjung Hospital here, authorities said.
This is the second fire incident reported in the hospital premises within a week. There were no casualties or damage reported due to it.
“The fire broke out around 4 pm from a switchboard inside the blood bank, located on one of the upper floors of the building housing it. The fire was controlled within an hour,” Safdarjung Hospital Medical Superintendent Dr A K Rain said.
The fire was doused within half an hour, said a fire department official, adding that six fire tenders were rushed to the spot to control the fire that started from the electric panel and the MCB (miniature circuit breaker) box in the blood bank that is on the second floor. One of the oldest hospitals in the city, its blood bank houses over 1,000 units on an average at a time. “Our staff brought the fire under control using extinguishers. We suspect short circuit as its cause,” Rai said.
The building has a laundry on the ground floor and the urology department on one of the upper floors. On September 22, a minor fire had broken out in the emergency ward section of the hospital here, causing panic among patients for a brief period.
Lt Governor Najeeb Jung had visited Safdarjung Hospital after the incident on September 22 and taken stock of the situation.