After Fighting Deep Coma, CRPF Officer Heads Home From AIIMS


New Delhi: CRPF Commanding Officer Chetan Kumar Cheeta was discharged from Delhi’s AIIMS Trauma Centre on Wednesday, after he fought off deep coma to regain consciousness and start talking.

শরীরের ৯টা বুলেট নিয়ে দু’মাসের জীবনযুদ্ধে জয় CRPF কমান্ডান্টের

Doctors told the Times of India that Cheeta’s recovery was nothing short of a miracle. They are planning to send him home after his Glasgow Coma Score improved from M3 to M6.

MoS Home Kiren Rijiju also met Chetan Cheeta at AIIMS on Wednesday. “The day I came here when he was brought from Srinagar it ws difficult to imagine he’ll talk to me. (I am) proud,” Rijiju told ANI.

After he was injured, Chetan Cheeta was first flown to 92 Base hospital in Srinagar. Seeing the extent of the injuries and his comatose state, however, Cheeta was airlifted to AIIMS Trauma Centre. When he was brought in, Cheeta had several bullet injuries to his head, fractures in the upper limb, and “maxillofacial” injury. The officer had also lost his right eye during the encounter.

Within 24 hours, Doctors at AIIMS removed a portion of Cheeta’s skull to reduce intra-cranial pressure. He was also put on heavy antibiotics to reduce infection and his wounds were repeated cleaned.

After a month, Chetan Cheeta’s condition finally began to improve. He was then taken off the ventilator and shifted to a normal ward from the ICU.

Once he regained stability, different teams worked on Cheeta’s various injuries. While the fracture in his limbs and the wound in his left eye was fixed, doctors couldn’t save his right eye.  Cheeta’s wife Uma Singh, believes it wasn’t just the doctors at AIIMS who were responsible for his ‘miraculous’ recovery and its pace. “He is a very determined person and a fitness freak. I always knew he would recover,” she told ToI.

What happened in February: Commandant Cheeta received information from Jammu and Kashmir police of two terrorists hiding in the Hajin village of Bandipora district. To tackle these, a joint operation by Jammu and Kashmir police, CRPF and Army was carried out.

According to a report in The Week, Cheeta killed top Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) commander Abu Musaib. He even fired 16 rounds despite sustaining injuries. Based on a medical bulletin released on Tuesday, Cheeta  father to two young kids could be discharged from the hospital today.


Previous articleMcCullum Trolls Villiers, RCB On Twitter
Next articleDalai Lama’s Visit To Arunachal Has Seriously Damaged Ties With India: China