Father’s Condition Deteriorated As He Inhaled Lot Of Smoke: Claims Deceased Patient’s Son

0
175

Kolkata: A man claimed that his father, admitted for treatment of a respiratory problem, died after his condition deteriorated after inhaling smoke, though hospital authorities said no death occurred due to the blaze. The incident took place after fire broke out at the Calcutta Medical College and Hospital here on Wednesday morning, which was brought under control after five hours.

According to a news channel, it is confirmed by OC of Bowbazar police station that a patient named Shahidul Islam Mullick (75) of Khanakul, Hooghly, was admitted in Calcutta Medical College and Hospital on September 25 on the 1st floor of the affected building with hyper glycaemia & acute respiratory problems. Today just after the incident took place he was immediately transferred & admitted to Emergency Observation Ward of the hospital. He expired around due to his ailment as confirmed by Super & Deputy Super, though his relatives alleged that it was due to smoke.

Son of deceased Shaidul Islam Mullick said that, “My father was suffering from respiratory problems. He was stable in the morning. But he had to be rushed out of the ward after the fire broke out. His condition deteriorated as he inhaled a lot of smoke. The doctors took him to the Emergency Ward but he passed away around 10 a.m.”

Earlier, thick smoke was seen coming out from the old hospital building that houses the Cardiology, Hematology and Endocrinology departments.

“Medicine stocks costing Rs 5 crore were destroyed,” said the incharge of the pharmacy housed in the damaged building.Panic gripped patients and their relatives alike as chaos prevailed due to the blaze that broke out at a medical store at the state-run hospital.

Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare Chandrima Bhattacharya assured that the stocks of lifesaving medicines destroyed in the fire will be replaced.

---
---