Explosion Hits Kabul, Foreign Troops Targeted

0
62

Kabul: A Fedayeen blast ripped through a convoy of foreign troops in the Afghan capital city Kabul on Sunday destroying an armoured vehicle, but the number of casualties is not yet known. Taliban insurgents claimed responsibility for the attack in the city centre which broke a period of relative calm in Kabul after a series of bombings in August. TV footage showed an armoured vehicle on its side as Afghan security forces cordoned off the street in the Joi Sheer neighbourhood.

“It was a suicide bombing against a foreign forces convoy in a crowded part of the city and there are casualties,” said Najib Danish deputy spokesman for the interior ministry.

Danish did not specify whether there were casualties among the foreign forces. The headquarters of the international Resolute Support Mission in Kabul did not immediately confirm details of the attack, but a spokesman said it was verifying reports. The Taliban insurgents fighting to topple the foreign-backed Kabul government claimed responsibility for Sunday’s attack, saying it killed a number of foreign troops. The group typically inflates casualty figures they inflict on Afghan and coalition forces.

The attack came during a period of heightened tension following intense fighting between government troops and the Taliban around the northern city of Kunduz, which fell briefly to the insurgent Islamist movement at the end of last month. Fighting between government forces and the Taliban continues on the outskirts of Kunduz

---
---